Position: Associate Commercial Breeder (Pullman, WA)
Reports to: Director of Commercial Breeding
Position summary: Working with the Head of Commercial Breeding, this position is responsible for developing and evaluating novel varieties for various crops to determine the potential for commercialization.
- Develop crossing plans, perform crosses and seedling populations. Perform phenotyping and genotyping for selecting desirable individuals.
- Develop genetic resources and populations for development and deployment of molecular markers.
- Work with genetics team to utilize molecular markers for parents and seedling selection
- Work with customer priorities to identify desirable traits and strategies to integrate them into commercial releases.
- Assist in planning, budgeting, and managing assigned breeding programs at Phytelligence
- Lead or assist in grant writing for any commodity or commercialization related grant opportunities
- Ph.D. in plant sciences or genetics with a track record of developing and/or commercializing new crop varieties
- Demonstrated experience with apple, pear, cherry or grape plants
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to lead, manage, and collaborate with a team
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and make decisions in a timely manner
To apply, submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org