Position: Director of Laboratory Operations (Pullman, WA)
Reports to: CSO, Phytelligence, Inc.
We’re revolutionizing the way food crops are grown. Come grow with us.
Phytelligence is an agricultural biotech company that is revolutionizing the way food crops are grown. Our proprietary MultiPHY™ technology produces healthier plants which yield fruit faster, at the quantities growers need. Given worldwide food production challenges, we’re inspired by the potential to significantly impact global food supply by helping growers increase their crop yield with fewer resources.
Feel the satisfaction of making a difference. The work we love to do has a direct influence on the future of agriculture and the success of the company. Help define your future and ours as we scale the company for global impact. We’re just getting started, and the possibilities are endless.
Position Purpose: Director of Laboratory Operations ensures the facility assets are operated to meet the needs of the R & D pipeline projects. This involves the management of staff and day to day operating disciplines.
- Operate and maintain the laboratory assets. This is accomplished through daily monitoring of the facility and by direct interaction with the CSO and vendors who come onto the site to perform maintenance.
- Coordinate with CSO to develop and manage facility-related spending and budgets, including identifying and providing justification for all desired capital items.
- Improve operations and optimize the allocation and use of assets (office and lab space, equipment) to meet the needs of the business. This includes:
- Providing input for short and medium-term space planning and allocation of resources
- Maintaining supply inventory and developing a laboratory operating budget with the CSO
- Creating and maintaining work estimates and schedules for the lab staff
- Working with IT to communicate workflow needs at a prototype scale that help in the development of new tools for data collection, management, and reporting once the new technologies are integrated into operations
- Organizing data and compiling reports on research projects
- Identifying gaps in the work processes and lead the design and implementation of new, innovative solutions to streamline laboratory work processes.
- Assume primary responsibility for controlled growth environmental controls, monitoring conditions, and alarms.
- Assume primary responsibility for the leadership and development of laboratory staff.
- Foster a safety culture at the site that focuses on Phytelligence’s commitment to maintaining an accident-free workplace.
- A post-graduate degree in Plant Sciences or related field or 5+ years relevant experience with people leadership and laboratory management is required.
- Project Management skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, meet deadlines, pay rigorous attention to detail, and fully embrace safety and regulatory compliance guidelines is required.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills and ability to continually improve and implement change is essential
- A knowledge of daily operations related to lab operation and controlled environments, including but not limited to, media preparation, laminar flow hoods, autoclaves, water systems, lighting and growth chambers required.
- Experience with the use of databases to maintain/track work processes
To apply, submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com