Director of Commercial Breeding
Reports To: Chief Science Officer
Position Summary: This position is responsible for the entire commercial breeding program at Phytelligence. Managing assistant breeders and interacting with the Genetics lead, to develop and commercialize novel varieties and rootstock for apples, cherries, pears, and grapes based upon provided commercial value and approval of management team.
- Determine breeding programs for identified and management-approved valuable traits in the four key crops from initiation to commercialization
- Work with a project manager to develop a project plan for all approved projects and track progress and report milestones achieved and not achieved to the management
- Identify new research approaches to implement breeding programs
- Develop and submit breeding budget for approval by management team annually. This includes variable costs of labor, materials, field space, and cap ex for equipment etc.
- Work closely with MultiPHY™ team, when appropriate, to develop protocols for new varieties and rootstock in order to propagate plants for breeding and prepare for commercialization
- Develop crossing plans
- Work with genetics lead and team to utilize molecular markers for parents and seedling selection
- Develop genetic resources for the development of molecular markers.
- Work with customer priorities to identify desirable traits and strategies to integrate them into commercial releases
- Plan, budget, and manage all breeding programs at Phytelligence
- Manage a team of Assistant Breeders
- Ph.D. in plant sciences and genetics with a track record of developing and commercializing new cultivars for the market
- Having run commercial breeding programs that have resulted in the successful commercialization of new cultivars
- Substantial knowledge of conventional and molecular breeding techniques
- Hands on knowledge of marker technology, phytopathology, and Biostatistics
- Excellent oral and written communication, skills
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage a team
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and make decisions in a timely manner
We provide a highly competitive base salary, compensation plan, and options program.
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org